Sunday, April 11, 2010

The High Life


Well, aren't we having fun today?  Leading the high life and the life of luxury - lolling around reading books all day.  At long last I have finished The Talented Mr Ripley.  I went to bed at 2:45 am and slept for three hours and then read some more and have just finished.  This is my first Patricia Highsmith novel and I thought it was great.  Her character study of Thomas Ripley was really outstanding...you felt like you were living and breathing inside his body.  I started to fantasise that my bottle of Gin Fizz (as pictured here) could become a lethal weapon if necessary.  So beautiful and yet it could be something else in different circumstances.  What an imagination!  This was her fourth novel written at the age of 34.  She sounds like she had a very complicated relationship with her mother...well just about everyone really....it must have been quite a shocking novel in its day...some of the language...the violence and the references to homosexuality.  She preferred the company of animals to people down to keeping pet snails which at first I thought odd and then remembered how much I enjoyed the water snails we used to have in our fish tank....industrious little critters and much better at housekeeping than me...one always feels so satisfied watching someone else doing a great job, yes?!!  Hope you're all doing a great job out there in the read-a-thon.

On to the next book.....yes, I know you think it should be Perfume but I just want a break from murder at the moment....let's make it S'pose I Die !!

2 comments:

Sheila (Bookjourney) said...

great job and the book sounds so wonderful!

Julie said...

You're doing nicely with this read-a-thon and it's great to see your progress!
The end of reading is not more books but more life.
~ George Holbrook Jackson ~