Saturday, January 2, 2021

#mmdchallenge

 



Every year I set myself so many reading challenges, it is just ridiculous.  I've signed up for a few already.  #AWW2021 for example and a couple of others on Goodreads - an A to Z of places and an A to Z of titles.  

Now, I've decided to sign up for #mmdchallenge which is the Modern Mrs Darcy Challenge.  I liked the sound of this one because there was a little more thought put into it.  I had to think about what my intentions were and what my reading life needed. So here we go. My goal is to read 50 books this year.

Intentions

I want the following from my reading life:
  • learning
  • new experiences
  • empathy

Reading Life Needs

  • consistency in reading
  • taking notes
  • writing reviews

Mini Projects to give my reading life a boost

  • participation in a reading retreat - nup I've never done one. Nup, I've got no idea what they involve.  If you do, let me know.
  • Give away books - we have too many and there are ones that quite frankly I don't want to keep
  • Try bibliotherapy or being involved in a literacy charity

Potential categories

  • a book in translation
  • a book set somewhere I've never been but would like to visit
  • a classic I didn't read in school
  • a Pulitzer Prize winner
  • a book by an author new to me
  • A Newbery Award winner
  • three books by the same author
  • a memoir or book of creative nonfiction
  • a book by an author of a different race, ethnicity or religion than my own

My reading list

Now, this is really a combination of all the challenges I have signed up for already but also making sure that I have captured some of the potential categories above. AA stands for an Australian author. 11-29 are the books listed A-Z by title. The next lot are by place.  The remainder will probably be pulled from my TBR pile. Wish me luck!

  1. The Champagne War by Fiona McIntosh #AWW2021. This also doubles as C in A-Z of titles and E for Epernay in A-Z of places
  2. E Elemental by Amanda Curtin #AWW2021.  This also doubles as E in A-Z of titles and F for Fremantle for A-Z of places
  3. K Kokomo by Victoria Hannan #AWW2021.  This also doubles as K in A-Z of titles.
  4. J Joan Makes History by Kate Grenville #AWW2021. This also doubles as J in A-Z of titles.
  5. P The Power of Bones by Keelen Mailman  #AWW2021. This also doubles as P in A-Z of titles
  6. T The Trauma Cleaner: One Woman's Extraordinary Life in Death, Decay & Disaster by Sarah Krasnostein  #AWW2021. This also doubles as T in A-Z of titles
  7. Y Year of Wonders by Geraldine Brooks #AWW2021.  This also doubles as Y in A-Z of titles.
  8. M:  Loner by Georgina Young #AWW2021.  This also doubles as M for Melbounre in places A-Z
  9. T: Toronto Cherry Beachby Laura McPhee-Browne #AWW2021 and doubles as T for Toronto in A-Z of places.
  10. #AWW
  11. A All the Lives We Never Lived by Anuradha Roy and doubles for I for India in A-Z of places
  12. B Born or Bred? Martin Bryant: the making of a mass murderer by Robert Wainwright AA
  13. D The Daughters of Mars by Thomas Keneally AA
  14. F Finding Nouf by Zoë Ferraris and doubles for U in SaUdi Arabia in A-Z of places
  15. G Ghost River by Tony Birch AA and doubles for Y as in Yarra River in A-Z of places
  16. H Home Stretch by Graham Norton and doubles for N for New York in A-Z of places
  17. I The Island of Sea Women by Lisa See and doubles for J for Jeju in A-Z of places
  18. L Leave the World Behind by Rumaan Alam and L for Long Island in A-Z of places
  19. M Memorial Drive: A Daughter's Memoir by Natasha Trethewey
  20. N Nobody Will Tell You This But Me by Bess Kalb
  21. O One Bright Moon by Andrew Kwong
  22. Q Quichotte by Salman Rushdie
  23. R Roughing It in the Bush by Susanna Moodie and doubles for Q as in Quebec for A-Z of places
  24. S Snare by Lilja Sigurðardóttir and doubles for R for Reykijavik in A-Z of places
  25. U The Underground Railroad by Colson Whitehead
  26. V The Volunteer by Salvatore Scibona
  27. W Weather by Jenny Offill
  28. X Max by Alex Miller AA
  29. Z Zami: A New Spelling of My Name by Audre Lorde
  30. D: Durham The Offing by Benjamin Myers
  31. H: Hove Craven House by Patrick Hamilton
  32. K: Kenya Enidby Robert Wainwright AA
  33. O: Oxford Any Human Heart by William Boyd
  34. P: Portugal Pereira Maintains by Antonio Tabucchi
  35. S: Scotland The Private Memoirs and Confessions of a Justified Sinner by James Hogg
  36. V: Vietnam The Happiest Refugee by Anh Do AA
  37. W: West Bank Apeirogon by Colum McCann
  38. X: Mexico The Murmur of Bees by Sofía Segovia
  39. Z: Zanzibar The Sultan's Daughter by Jane Downing
  40. a book in translation
  41. Isabel López-Quesada at Home - a book set somewhere I've never been but would like to visit
  42. a classic I didn't read in school
  43. a Pulitzer Prize winner
  44. Honeybee by Craig Silvey
  45. A Newbery Award winner
  46. The Last Resort Alison Lurie
  47. Truth and Consequences Alison Lurie
  48. Foreign Affairs Alison Lurie
  49. Flesh Wounds by Richard Glover - a memoir or book of creative nonfiction
  50. The Mountains Sing by
Have you set yourself a reading challenge for the year? What are your intentions? What does your reading life need?  

No comments: