Monday, July 9, 2012

A lazy Sunday afternoon....

Goodwill Bridge, Brisbane taken from Southbank

One got to catch up with one's nearest and dearest for lunch yesterday.  We sat by the Brisbane river....something that I don't get to do much anymore so it was a welcome change.    My nearest and dearest are working very hard on a book - they will be finished soon we hope.  It's been a lot of hard work for a very long time.

The venue for lunch was The Stokehouse.  I lead a very sheltered life and had not heard of it but I believe it won an award very recently for its design. The Arkhefield website has some fabulous photos which do it much more justice than my humble camera. 

The Stokehouse Brisbane

I arrived just before the hordes hit at midday.  The service was attentive and efficient.  We shared breaded green olives with three cheeses for starters.  Then some of us had entree sized angel hair pasta with prawns, mussels and clams which was pronounced "Yum" - another tucked into some Barramundi.  I couldn't resist an affogato to finish off whilst the others had a pear thingummy.  Kisses, hugs and late birthday presents on both sides were exchanged with oohs and aahs and promises to catch up soon.

Then I had to dash off to a book launch for.....

Cover of Alex and the Watermelon Boat by Chris McKimmie published by Allen & Unwin

I am delighted to know a couple of young gentlemen for whom this would make the perfect birthday or Christmas gift.  It's the kind of gift that they will "grow" in to, as it were ... it is aimed at 4-8 year olds and my gentlemen are a smidgin younger than that.  

I do love picture books and now that I have the far from onerous duty of being "back-up" story-time reader in my new job, I enjoy checking out what's on offer.  This is a lovely BIG book with fabulous illustrations and lots to look at providing much food for thought and discussion whilst sharing with small ones. The story was inspired by the recent floods in Brisbane and Robyn Sheahan-Bright accurately describes the author Chris McKimmie's style as "whimsical and delightful" in her teacher's notes which you can read here. 

If you'd like to find out more about the floods in Brisbane earlier this year, check out the State Library of Queensland's recent collection of images Mosaic captured here and written about here  ,

A lazy Sunday afternoon indeed, flooded with great food, family, friends and stories.

1 comment: