Monday, February 21, 2011

The Golden Tardis



It started when I gave a friend a kobo e-reader back in July.

“Ooh!” she said. “It’s great! Can you knit me a cover for it?”

I forgot her birthday in December. I rang and apologised profusely and invited her to lunch……..

……Today.

I started knitting……

…..Last night.

I found this great free pattern on Ravelry. Tardis Kindle Case

“Kindle. Schmindle” I thought. “She’ll be right.” (Australian for “I don’t know what I’m doing but trust me.”)

I didn’t have any blue wool - well, some, but not enough.

“It will be a golden tardis.” I thought to self.

I think it was worsted weight. I think I might have been a bit worsted too. It was very hot yesterday.

I didn’t have a 7mm needle. “6.5mm is close enough”, I thought.

And yes, you guessed it….I didn’t have time to do a swatch.

“What’s Judy’s Magic Cast On?…..” I thought. Three You-Tube videos later, much sucking of teeth and four false starts and I was away. Just like a pro.

”I’ll just go up to Row 40” I thought “and leave the Argyle-y stuff til the morning.”

But that’s the fun bit right?

And it was after midnight, so theoretically, it was morning.

I got the windows done but then I started to run out of yellow wool…..

“It will be a Golden Tardis with a blue roof.” I thought.

I finished it. 2:30am.

Then I measured it.

Then I googled “Felting”….

What should I do? Should I call it a hot water bottle cover and omit any references to Dr Who?

Should I felt it and carry on bravely?

Should I just buy her a book and be done with it?

5 comments:

Queen of the Tea Cosies said...

felt it and give it to her girl.
Felt it and give it to her!

Anonymous said...

I'm with GPB!!!

Captain Nick Sparrow said...

A homemade present is always a winner!

Stafford Ray said...

I'd be absolutely delighted with anything 'tardis', and who can argue with BPG? Felt it and feel good about it!

C said...

LOL! That is excellent! I'm finishing one up, now. When I saw the title, I thought maybe you were combining Harry Potter and Dr Who somehow. Maybe you could stuff it and call it a travel pillow. ^_^