Saturday, January 2, 2021

#mmdchallenge

 



Every year I set myself so many reading challenges, it is just ridiculous.  I've signed up for a few already.  #AWW2021 for example and a couple of others on Goodreads - an A to Z of places and an A to Z of titles.  

Now, I've decided to sign up for #mmdchallenge which is the Modern Mrs Darcy Challenge.  I liked the sound of this one because there was a little more thought put into it.  I had to think about what my intentions were and what my reading life needed. So here we go. My goal is to read 50 books this year.

Intentions

I want the following from my reading life:
  • learning
  • new experiences
  • empathy

Reading Life Needs

  • consistency in reading
  • taking notes
  • writing reviews

Mini Projects to give my reading life a boost

  • participation in a reading retreat - nup I've never done one. Nup, I've got no idea what they involve.  If you do, let me know.
  • Give away books - we have too many and there are ones that quite frankly I don't want to keep
  • Try bibliotherapy or being involved in a literacy charity

Potential categories

  • a book in translation
  • a book set somewhere I've never been but would like to visit
  • a classic I didn't read in school
  • a Pulitzer Prize winner
  • a book by an author new to me
  • A Newbery Award winner
  • three books by the same author
  • a memoir or book of creative nonfiction
  • a book by an author of a different race, ethnicity or religion than my own

My reading list

Now, this is really a combination of all the challenges I have signed up for already but also making sure that I have captured some of the potential categories above. AA stands for an Australian author. 11-29 are the books listed A-Z by title. The next lot are by place.  The remainder will probably be pulled from my TBR pile. Wish me luck!

  1. The Champagne War by Fiona McIntosh #AWW2021. This also doubles as C in A-Z of titles and E for Epernay in A-Z of places
  2. Elemental by Amanda Curtin #AWW2021.  This also doubles as E in A-Z of titles and F for Fremantle for A-Z of places
  3. Kokomo by Victoria Hannan #AWW2021.  This also doubles as K in A-Z of titles.
  4. Joan Makes History by Kate Grenville #AWW2021. This also doubles as J in A-Z of titles.
  5. The Power of Bones by Keelen Mailman  #AWW2021. This also doubles as P in A-Z of titles
  6. The Trauma Cleaner: One Woman's Extraordinary Life in Death, Decay & Disaster by Sarah Krasnostein  #AWW2021. This also doubles as T in A-Z of titles
  7. Year of Wonders by Geraldine Brooks #AWW2021.  This also doubles as Y in A-Z of titles.
  8. M:  Loner by Georgina Young #AWW2021.  This also doubles as M for Melbounre in places A-Z
  9. T: Toronto Cherry Beachby Laura McPhee-Browne #AWW2021 and doubles as T for Toronto in A-Z of places.
  10. #AWW
  11. All the Lives We Never Lived by Anuradha Roy and doubles for I for India in A-Z of places
  12. Born or Bred? Martin Bryant: the making of a mass murderer by Robert Wainwright AA
  13. The Daughters of Mars by Thomas Keneally AA
  14. Finding Nouf by Zoë Ferraris and doubles for U in SaUdi Arabia in A-Z of places
  15. Ghost River by Tony Birch AA and doubles for Y as in Yarra River in A-Z of places
  16. Home Stretch by Graham Norton and doubles for N for New York in A-Z of places
  17. The Island of Sea Women by Lisa See and doubles for J for Jeju in A-Z of places
  18. Leave the World Behind by Rumaan Alam and L for Long Island in A-Z of places
  19. Memorial Drive: A Daughter's Memoir by Natasha Trethewey
  20. N Nobody Will Tell You This But Me by Bess Kalb
  21. One Bright Moon by Andrew Kwong
  22. Quichotte by Salman Rushdie
  23. Roughing It in the Bush by Susanna Moodie and doubles for Q as in Quebec for A-Z of places
  24. Snare by Lilja Sigurðardóttir and doubles for R for Reykijavik in A-Z of places
  25. The Underground Railroad by Colson Whitehead
  26. The Volunteer by Salvatore Scibona
  27. Weather by Jenny Offill
  28. Max by Alex Miller AA
  29. Zami: A New Spelling of My Name by Audre Lorde
  30. D: Durham The Offing by Benjamin Myers
  31. H: Hove Craven House by Patrick Hamilton
  32. K: Kenya Enidby Robert Wainwright AA
  33. O: Oxford Any Human Heart by William Boyd
  34. P: Portugal Pereira Maintains by Antonio Tabucchi
  35. S: Scotland The Private Memoirs and Confessions of a Justified Sinner by James Hogg
  36. V: Vietnam The Happiest Refugee by Anh Do AA
  37. W: West Bank Apeirogon by Colum McCann
  38. X: Mexico The Murmur of Bees by Sofía Segovia
  39. Z: Zanzibar The Sultan's Daughter by Jane Downing
  40. a book in translation
  41. Isabel López-Quesada at Home - a book set somewhere I've never been but would like to visit
  42. a classic I didn't read in school
  43. a Pulitzer Prize winner
  44. Honeybee by Craig Silvey
  45. A Newbery Award winner
  46. The Last Resort Alison Lurie
  47. Truth and Consequences Alison Lurie
  48. Foreign Affairs Alison Lurie
  49. Flesh Wounds by Richard Glover - a memoir or book of creative nonfiction
  50. The Mountains Sing by
Have you set yourself a reading challenge for the year? What are your intentions? What does your reading life need?  

No comments: