Wednesday, January 1, 2020

Australian Women Writers Challenge #AWW2020


I've decided to sign up for the AWW2020 challenge.  It's great having reading goals and this is one I'm particularly passionate about.  If you are interested in finding out more, go to this page here.

I'm setting my sights low to avoid disappointment.  I really hope I exceed them.  I am going for the Stella level, which is to read 4 books by Australian women writers and review 3 of them.  

There is a searchable database of reviews of books here.   How good is that?

In 2019 I read 41 books of which 14 were by Australian women writers as follows:

Serina Bird - The Joyful Frugalista
Georgie Dent - Breaking Badly
Sandy Docker - The Cottage at Rosella Cove
Kitty Flanagan - 488 Rules for Life
                           Bridge Burning and other hobbies
Kate Grenville - One Life 
                           Dark Places
Bri Lee - Egg Shell Skull
Jaclyn Moriarty - Gravity is the Thing
Liane Moriarty - Nine Perfect Strangers
Heather Rose - Bruny
Gabbie Stroud - Teacher
Charlotte Wood - The Weekend


So, theoretically, I smashed it and can claim the Franklin level, only I can't remember if I signed up for the challenge!  And I had to review at least six of them.  Whilst I gave reviews of some of them on Good Reads I need to be honest and say they were at the most two or three-sentence reviews which I don't think pass muster. So my goal for 2020 is to write decent reviews of maybe 300 words maximum and following the excellent guidelines here, here and here.


What books do I hope to read?  Well, I have started The Overlanders by Dora Birtle which is really interesting.  And a Virago.  And I really want to read more Viragos.

Wish me luck and let me know if you are going to join in too.

2 comments:

shelleyrae @ book'd out said...

Good luck with the challenge!

Alex Daw said...

Thank you Shelleyrae!